Ordinal endings

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sun Feb 28 14:16:38 CST 2016

The primary function of the ordinal categories is to be used as "switch"
selectors in messages, where the UI supplies the whole message with the
ending (as you mention) that is appropriate for the . CLDR doesn't supply
text for "1st", "2nd", etc for languages precisely for the reason you
mention; the inflections vary by the rest of the sentence.

There are RBNF ordinal rules for some languages, but the RBNF rules are not
complete for all languages; and for some languages that have them, they are
not complete for all of the inflected forms.

Mark