Month as a Roman numeral ? Out of bounds?

Patrick Andries patrick.andries at xcential.com
Thu May 14 21:59:46 CDT 2015

In Europe, months are sometimes specified as Roman Numerals.

See today's photograph of a NATO Summit in Antalya (Turkey) :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NUCbCaZssRU/VVNKTnKNEjI/AAAAAAAAEJ0/TAZvqkvp8K8/s640/66_default.jpg

Or this bus schedule in Bavaria (in the upper left corner : «Fallen der
24.XII. und 31.XII. auf Werktage» etc.)

http://www.asamnet.de/~maschmid/Bilder/Fahrplan21.jpg

This is actually how I learned to write dates at school.

I'm not convinced whether this is something CLDR should deal with, it
may actually be out of bounds.

But how could one make this formatting easily available to localizers if
they prefer months to be displayed in this way? Try to convince each of
the Javascript/C#/Java/php, etc. normalization commitees to include a
new pattern letter ('r'/'R' ?) for month as a roman numeral? How much
does what the CLDR provide influence what the programming languages
could implement later on?  In other words, if a new symbol is added to
<http://cldr.unicode.org/translation/date-time>, is there a better
chance that programming langages will present users with the
libraries/functions to use such symbol?

Patrick

---