Additional French Time Patterns ?

Patrick Andries patrick.andries at xcential.com
Tue May 5 12:54:51 CDT 2015

I believe the current short form (HH:mm) in French is not the most
common. Typographical reference books and common good quality web sites
(French railways for instance) attest to it. I also queried a little bit
around and I tend to agree with these formats, sent to me by a
colleague, as the French modern default :
«

  * 12 h 54 s'il n'y a pas de secondes (usage très courant) ;
  * 12:54:02[,123] avec les secondes [et fraction] (usage plus technique).

»

The medium form would thus be left untouched (HH:mm:ss).

It would be nice if alternate formats could be supported, but if the
short form can be modified this would be less of an issue.

As far as the am/pm notation is concerned, as long as the strings "am"
and "pm" are not displayed in French, I'm fine. I'm afraid of them
creeping up by default. I suspect the longer forms (du matin/de
l'après-midi/du soir), once known and available to programmers will be
useful in French. (Although Locale-Specific Periods may be difficult to
get perfectly right: the notion of "night" may depend on the sun having
set and thus vary according to the seasons and the latitude ;-) Let me
reassure you, I'm not asking for those to be taken into account.)

P. A.

---