Getting entries approved for minority languages

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 15 22:19:33 CDT 2014

May be it's possible to
- adjust the voting threshold according to the number of participants
- reduce the vetting score for major companies (like Google, IBM, Apple,
Oracle, SAP, Microsoft/Nokia, Facebook, Twitter, Mozilla Foundation,
Launchpad, Wikimedia Translate.net, the FSF translators list, Samsung,
HTC..., or even national linguistic institutes and libraries and national
standard bodies, or gaming developement companies, or manufacturers of
various automated domestic appliances), that still have not enough time to
inverst in those minority languages with a confirmed interest and activity
to these languages, even if they are full CLDR TC members. Note also that
their interest may not be on the whole comprehensive dataset, but only on
some core data (or just the "basic" or "modern" coverages; for example they
will not need to include all possible calendars and onlya subset of date
and number formats).

This way those languages can have a possible start even with small
participation (this won't hurt the business of CLDR TC members that have
still no specific interest in those languages, they are not required to
provide these CLDR data wit htheir products, or can provide them
provisionally by a specific installation option).

If there are errors that need correction, more people will join the program
to paraticipate in the next release. This will help bootstart these
languages, increase the number of users of the published data, and finally
will increase the level of particpation of "major players" that will add
some more of them in their monitored data, and when this will occur, the
betting thresholds will be raised a bit.