adding all of iso639_3 to either en.xml or root.xml

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Jul 15 14:50:29 CDT 2014

Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

> Let's be pragmatic and use the best tools. Even if you don't like
> Wikipedia itself for its content (or the tone of its local
> discussions), it does not mean eveything is bad, I personnly like this
> diversity which permits technical innovations to appear, and very
> bright things like Wikitionary, that evolves at the same time as
> people in the world using the languages we would like to coordinate.

Thank goodness CLDR doesn't apply the Wikipedia model of inventing new
"Standard X" code elements that step on the reserved code space of
Standard X, ignoring any private-use mechanism built into Standard X, as
Wikipedia does with language codes and ISO 639-3 and BCP 47.

The hijacking of 'nrm' by Wikipedia for Norman, described by Philippe
earlier, is a perfect example of this. In ISO 639-3 and in BCP 47, 'nrm'
is the code element for Narom, spoken in Malaysia.

I'm otherwise a fan of Wikipedia, but this example of "Wikipedia
exceptionalism" is just about the worst possible approach for either
stability or interoperability.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell