Unit Intervals

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Wed Dec 10 05:58:26 CST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Yury Tarasievich <
yury.tarasievich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dealing with similar problem right now, I'd note that "interval" would
> primarily mean a pair "startvalue, endvalue" with some formatting to it.
> That formatting isn't even "widely" cultural tradition, but "narrow"
> typographic convention, with possibly quite extensive definition, subject
> to change. E.g., for numbers intervals in Russian language typography,
> there are "..." and "--" (U+2013) and "---" (U+2014); of course, the "-"
> (dash) is commonly used; formerly, the U+00F7 was prescribed; in maths
> related text you'd meet ":" and ", ... ,;"; in bastardised "computer
> spelling" -- ".." (two dots). And it is context related, too (U+2013 for
> dates, U+2014 or ellipsis for numbers).

The first message was about recurring dates, like "every Tuesday" or
"Monday and Wednesdays, the 3rd week of each month". ​We have thought about
adding those (there are some bugs about them), but haven't yet.

The second message is about intervals / ranges. We support locale-specific
date intervals, and ranges of other elements (typically numbers), and
elision (when intervening elements are removed, as in "A very … long
message").

We don't support multiple choices for any particular interval/range. If you
have suggestions for improvements...

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*