Could Unicode deliver the level of paleographic detail needed for encoding ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs?

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 6 11:33:53 CST 2024

James Kass wrote as follows:

> Seriously, but also in the department of “nobody asked”, here’s how to
> rotate glyphs by any angle:

The virtual machine would do all of that processing behind the scenes
for each point in the glyph once it received an angle and a Gr command.
I note that the formula quoted rotates the mathematical way, namely
counterclockwise for a positive theta.

> Of course, the glyph has now likely shifted out of its “boundary box”
> and will need to be repositioned appropriately.

Possibly. Yet this need not necessarily be a problem because the Gs
command could have been used to scale the glyph before the rotation and
the Gr command might be defined to rotate about the centre of the
bounding box of the glyph, given that the glyph has been validated
during fontmaking as having no outlying off-curve points.

William Overington

Wednesday 6 March 2024