Could Unicode deliver the level of paleographic detail needed for encoding ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 4 14:44:08 CST 2024

What you are describing is rich text. Anytime you add "special
commands", no matter how you encode them, you have rich text. (There is
a small amount of gray zone, in which characters like SHY, NBSP and TAB
can be understood as still being "plain text", but a syntax for a
virtual rotation machine is definitely beyond the scope).

A./