Solution for Extended Tamil

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Thu Jan 25 19:29:45 CST 2024

On 2024-01-25 1:02 PM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
>> downloadable font for 'correct' display.  Are there any such notices
>> or disclaimers?
> That's probably a question for those who read Tamil - there may be
> little point in putting up such notices in English.
Exactly.

The print era exhibits in the proposal documents all clearly show that
the digit is placed next to the consonant, which seems to be the
classical convention.  It should be considered important to find out
what the actual users think about this.  If the digital era practice of
placing the superscripts at the syllable final position is considered a
temporary work-around, that's one thing.  But if the users consider this
to be a new, digital era convention which supersedes the classical
convention, that's something else.  In which case the question becomes
should both conventions be representable in computer plain-text?  If
yes, can this be accomplished without changing the /de facto/ standard
encoding order?  I think it *should* be possible, but that doesn't mean
it is.  And perhaps the users (and the UTC) would prefer to represent
both conventions at the encoding level instead of handling it at the
display level.  I don't know and do not claim to speak for either the
user community or the UTC.  Just asking questions in an effort to
understand the issues involved.

> Additionally, I’m not sure that a font that works on Internet Explorer
> was possible.  I’m not even sure that an OpenType font can be made for
> Chromium or Firefox.  Can one even kern Tamil syllables and superscript
> digits using OpenType?
It should work, but I'm not set up to test it at the moment.  If it
didn't work, I might try "rlig" and make precomposed glyphs
accordingly.  Even if that meant scads of precomposed glyphs.

-----

(some background)
In the 2010 proposal,
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2010/10256r-extended-tamil.pdf , it was
explained that the proposed characters would have considerable glyphic
variation.  The code charts used the Tamil forms with western
superscript digits for reasons explained within the document.  The
objections to the proposal were essentially that the glyphs being
proposed as characters could already be represented as sequences and
they worked just fine.  (As long as one either liked dotted circles or
was comfortable with the digits appearing syllable final, but this part
was not mentioned in the objections.)  Even though the proposal
explained why the proposed characters should not have decompositions.
If the proposal had used the Grantha style glyphs in the charts for the
proposed characters, the objections probably would have been that the
proposed characters were already encoded in the Grantha range.

For example, IIUC, the Tamil form looks like "த³" and the Grantha form
looks like "𑌦" for the character proposed for U+xx10, TAMIL LETTER DA.

If Shriramana Sharma's 2010 proposal (and revisions) had been accepted,
we would not be having this discussion.  But here we are.