Solution for Extended Tamil

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 21 19:19:18 CST 2024

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:16:14 +0000
James Kass via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> On 2024-01-21 3:26 PM, James Kass via Unicode wrote:
> > Perhaps the simplest solution to this display issue would be to
> > persuade the user community to place the superscript digit after
> > the syllable it modifies and spell the word like பா⁴வம்.
>
> http://www.brahminsnet.com/forums/forum/religious/bhakthi-pooja-sthothrams/anmikam-bhakthi-pooja/9082-
>
> It appears that the user community is already placing the superscript
> digit at the end of the syllable.  The word "பா⁴வம்" appears in the
> page linked above, which is from 2014.
>
> Likewise, the same word shows up in this page:
> https://www.bible.com/bible/2102/EPH.1.santm
>
> Indeed, a web search for "பா⁴வம்" finds plenty of hits, but a web
> search for "ப⁴ாவம்" finds nothing.  So the original question seems
> moot.

Or the user community is only using Unicode if they can stomach always
putting the digit last.  Note that Google failed to find "ப⁴ாவம்"
amongst the Unicode documents.  I've quoted and linked to your
observation at Wiktionary, best seen at
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Module:sa-convert/testcases/Tamil.