Ecma-48 proposed styling controls update updated & math expression representation proposal update

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Jan 12 16:08:19 CST 2024

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Sorry, I'm probably missing something, because I don't see the
> relevance.  My point is that copy/paste through the clipboard uses
> formats that are not plain text, and encode the styles and typefaces
> by using methods that are not compatible with plain text.

I think Marius will have to address what he meant, as you and I are talking past each other.

If ECMA-48 markup is part of the plain-text stream, and it is copied from one app to another in a plain-text Clipboard, then all of the ECMA-48 sequences should survive the transit.

>> Alternatively, why is the stated user-experience problem for ECMA-48
>> not a problem for Word?
>
> I thought I answered that?  Or what do you mean by "user experience"?

That question was semi-rhetorical, and was for Marius, who again will need to respond. I thought he was talking about the human user trying to select text to be copied, and inadvertently failing to select a starting or ending ECMA-48 sequence because they are not human-visible.

> If pasting between applications, the answer is again clipboard format
> that is not plain text.  If you copy plain text, the formatting is
> lost.

Wait: are we saying that ECMA-48 sequences like CSI 31m are plain text, or that they are not?

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org