Ecma-48 proposed styling controls update updated & math expression representation proposal update

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Jan 12 11:35:37 CST 2024

Marius Spix wrote:

> Question: How do you copy text preserving the styling?
> For example, you have the following text (in these examples I use ^ as
> escape character and visible characters instead of the proposed
> tagging characters.)
>
> This is a ^[31mred Text^[0m ECMA-48 styling.
>
> You now want to copy the word "text" and insert it to another
> document. The styling information gets lost.
> Then you copy the words "a ^[31mtext" and your whole document after
> these words becomes red until the text color is changed again. This is
> very confusing and unintuitive.

How is this handled in Word, or in any other WYSIWYG editor?

What about in WordPerfect for DOS, where different foreground and background colors in text mode represented bold, italics, underlining, etc.?

Did we not have any way to manipulate styled text before HTML came along?

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org