UniFormat (from Re: Ecma-48 proposed styling controls update updated etc ...)

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 9 07:46:11 CST 2024

Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:

> But the purpose? For interchange information (and to type), we will
> use a different format, so better to use such format which users can
> understand (HTML, Markdown, TeX, or a new "UniFormat"). To display? is
> someone willing to program it? Many standards have: "usage first,
> standardisation later".

Well, I put forward a proposal to use Variation Selector 14 to specify a
request for an italics glyph. I had made a test font and it worked well.
The proposal was not stateful and could, in my opinion, be a useful
facility. Yet the proposal got rejected.

Maybe if UniFormat becomes designed and implemented, that suggestion
might be considered for inclusion..

A PDF document could be a convenient way to gather a VS14 character to
paste into a document to get UniFormat going as a VS14 character is not,
as far as I am aware, a key on an existing keyboard.

If UniFormat were to become implemented then a USB UniFormat external
keyboard could be manufactured.

If UniFormat became into use by many end users then such keyboards might
well be available at supermarkets and deliverable as part of the
grocery, as USB external keyboards are now.

The big problem is getting started with UniFormat. There is a good
chance that even discussion of it will be dismissed as not necessary
today!

William