Ecma-48 proposed styling controls update updated & math expression representation proposal update

Alexander Lange alexander.lange at catrinity-font.de
Mon Jan 8 06:19:30 CST 2024

Hi,

A little clarification maybe: I used HTML as an example for encoding
meta information like document structure and formatting using Basic
Latin characters, and without needing special control characters. I did
not mean that HTML is the best solution in every possible context.
However, in William's story, Patricia didn't indicate any reason why it
wouldn't be a feasible solution for her.

Also, and more importantly, it was a direct reply to William's idea of
possible future formats (for which I currently can't really see the use
case), not to your original proposal. That's also where the plane 14
characters come from.

 From your earlier e-mails, I especially agree on:

> However, it would be great if Unicode at least had better character
> properties for C0/C1 characters, rather than the completely wrong
> properties Unicode now has for them.

and

> And the C0/C1 characters should not be regarded magically different
> from other Unicode characters.

Unfortunately, "magically different" is pretty exactly how it feels
currently.

Kind regards,
Alexander