Ecma-48 proposed styling controls update updated & math expression representation proposal update

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 7 06:02:53 CST 2024

I suggest that a way to popularize your suggestions is for there to be
short science fiction stories where a problem arises and then it is
solved using your ideas.

For example, here is some text to show what I mean, it is not a complete
story, it needs two more sections written. If you, or someone else,
writes those sections, using information in the documents that you have
produced, then posts the whole story, then maybe there will be progress.

"Hello Patricia, how are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks, Anne, but I am having a bit of a problem over how to
store in a Unicode file some text that is from a teletext page."

"Oh, what is the issue?"

"Well, the text is

It was printed by Gutenberg in Mainz.

and most of it is in green yet the name Gutenberg is in yellow. How can
I code that?"

"Ah, I saw a document where a gentleman has some suggestions about
extending the Ecma-48 system, it includes a part about teletext. We can
try that if you like."

"Yes, please."

MORE NEEDED about Anne showing Patricia how to code the text in green
and yellow.

"Thank you, Anne, that is a great solution."

"The other teletext colours can be coded too, here's how."

MORE NEEDED about how to code text in other colours.

"Great, I'll file that for future reference."

Now I know that that is a non-conventional way of conveying technical
detail, but it works.

If that story gets completed and posted in this mailing list it will
become archived and be there permanently.

The method can be used to convey complicated information in a more
easily understood way.

It is an opportunity.

I hope this helps,

Best regards,