What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Thu Feb 22 20:31:18 CST 2024

Hi, Freek

I was responding to a general principle being put forth by William. The only concern I was expressing in regards to krul was the application of William's principle as an argument for encoding krul.

If it's clear that a character is an element of text content with an active user community, then existing font implementations can contribute to a proposal for encoding. But the rational he was suggesting implied that any graphic symbol that users might want to place on a page warranted encoding so that the symbol can be implemented in fonts. UTC will not buy that.

Others have given useful suggestions for what might provide helpful evidence in an encoding proposal. The mention of users finding workarounds to display something _similar_ in text brought to mind the proposal for encoding the Bitcoin currency symbol: UTC found helpful evidence showing that users were interchanging text using characters that were similar to the currency symbol, enough that the intended meaning might be understood _in context_, but not the same and misinterpreted when not in context.

Peter