What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

Jukka K. Korpela jukkakk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 13:57:47 CST 2024

 Doug Ewell via Unicode (unicode at corp.unicode.org) wrote::

> You will want to show in your proposal that there is demand for representing this symbol,
>  which seems to be a handwritten convention, in computerized text.

I’d like to add to this good advice the point that the symbol should
have demonstrable
use in text, as a character, as opposite to a hand-drawn symbol in the margin.

I think it is less relevant that the symbol has been used in computerized text,
i.e. in text in digital format. Obviously, since the symbol does not
exist in Unicode,
any digital format has had to use an image, or perhaps a Private Use character.
But if you can demonstrate use of the symbol as an image in commonly used
digital formats and the need for encoding it as a character for use in
plain text
formats, I think you would have a case.

Yucca, https://jkorpela.fi