What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

Freek Dijkstra freek at macfreek.nl
Fri Feb 16 12:40:03 CST 2024

All, thank you for the responses!

Indeed, this is a not an emoji, but a symbol very akin to a checkmark,
which is found in the Dingbats table
(https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf). According to a newspaper
article on its history, it originates somewhere in the 19th century. So
I'll follow the normal character proposal process.

In the mean time, I not only found the forms to fill in at
https://www.unicode.org/L2/summary.html, I even find someone who was
-just like me- "genuinely mildly irritated" with the fact that there was
no codepoint in Unicode, and even created a website to fix this:
https://unicode-krul.nl/en

I'll first try to contact them. I suspect that their genuine irritation
was mild enough that is was eventually abandoned after seeing the effort
it seemingly takes to get this done. :) Let's hope we're more successful
this time.

With kind regards,
Freek Dijkstra