What's the process for proposing a symbol in the Unicode table?

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Feb 16 11:38:58 CST 2024

Asmus Freytag wrote:

>>> 1. What is the process for submitting assigning a codepoint to a
>>> symbol currently missing from the Unicode tables?
>>
>> http://unicode.org/emoji/proposals.html
>
> This assumes that the "symbol" is an emoji. Which the "Flourish of
> approval" would not necessarily be, unless the idea was to create an
> emoji for it, like the check mark.

The OP’s post and references seem rather clear that it is intended as a normal character, for use with normal text, often handwritten, and used in plain-text environments (e.g. “mostly in elementary schools” and “for grading schoolwork”).

I would think the process for proposing normal characters would need to be followed, and this should not be proposed as an emoji for the purpose of getting it encoded via the easier emoji process.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org