Characters with both Han and Latin parts and remembering the New English Calligraphy of the artist Xu Bing

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 26 12:19:06 CDT 2024

I have been reading with interest the document.

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2024/24125-cjk-abbrev-block.pdf
<https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2024/24125-cjk-abbrev-block.pdf>

I know literally almost nothing about CJK characters, yet the glyphs
with both Han and Latin parts reminded me of the New English Calligraphy
of the artist Xu Bing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GiHwCAz_4
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GiHwCAz_4>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzs0Z3YLU7I
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzs0Z3YLU7I>

There is mention of New English Calligraphy is a post in the Unicode
mailing list archive.

https://unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/Archives-Old/UML025/1100.html

An interesting thing is that the encoding problem for characters and
glyphs produced using New English Calligraphy mentioned in that post can
now be solved using the technique of a tag sequence for each of them in
a one-to-one correspondence with the spelling of the English word.

William Overington

Friday 26 April 2024