Unicode philosophy - technical symbols

Sławomir Osipiuk sosipiuk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 12:16:19 CDT 2023

I believe this is because those symbols are not meant to be included in
runs of "text" but are designed to be "placed on equipment".

This MIGHT be a valid argument if we didn't already have things like the
pause and play buttons in Unicode.

There's a long history of "anti-precedent" in Unicode decisions, where some
set of characters/symbols get included, then a similar set is denied and is
deemed to be different for hyperspecific, microscopic reasons, or the
"unfortunately" cannot be remedied.

Then the same thing happens again, and again, and it feels like all the
fancy words and reasoning are there just to hide the fluctuating mood of
the proposal reviewers on any specific day.

You should make sure your proposal gets reviewed immediately after lunch.
Studies have shown people are more generous then. ;-)

On Thursday, 26 October 2023, 12:05:54 (-04:00), Piotr Karocki via Unicode
wrote:

 > I have another question, related to Unicode philosophy (not "Unicode
 > encoding philosophy", but more general "Unicode philosophy" :) ).
 >
 > We already adopted e.g. Symbols for Legacy Computing (1FB00-1FBFF),
Emoji,