Unicode encoding philosophy

Rebecca Bettencourt beckiergb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 15:58:33 CDT 2023

The alignment of quotation marks in a CJK square is an issue affecting very
few characters, with no easy mechanism in markup or rich text formatting,
with precedent in the form of SVSes for other punctuation marks used in CJK
text.

Italics applies to a large, open-ended set of characters (possibly the
entire Unicode character set), has been implemented in just about every
form of markup and formatting ever conceived, and has no precedent of
implementation using VSes (other than the use of VS15/VS16 for text vs
emoji presentation, which even the UTC has determined was a mistake).

-- Rebecca Bettencourt