Unicode encoding philosophy

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 4 12:54:40 CDT 2023

I have been reading the following.

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23212-quotes-svs-proposal.pdf

I am not an expert on this at all. It looks good and I hope it becomes
implemented.

What puzzles me though, is that structurally the proposal seems to have
much the same encoding philosophy as a suggestion proposed by me in that
they both would allow a variation selector to be used so as to conserve
in plain text information that is typically these days conserved in rich
text and gets lost if plain text is used. In my proposal, using a
variation selector to conserve in a plain text document information
about the use of italics in some text.

My proposal was rejected, quite strongly.

So, deep down, what please is the Unicode encoding philosophy that
allows variation selectors to be used to conserve some information, yet
not other information, in plain text?

William Overington

Wednesday 4 October 2023