What does 'horizontal extension' mean in Unicode proposal docs?

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at sonic.net
Mon Nov 13 17:47:27 CST 2023

Take a look at the CJK unified code charts on the site:

https://www.unicode.org/charts/

The CJK unified ideographs are presented in a multi-column format, where
each column represents a different source for the ideograph (and often
shows a slightly different glyph appropriate, e.g., to a Chinese font
versus a Japanese font, etc.).

A *horizontal* extension for CJK represents the addition of a new
*source* (and corresponding glyph) where one was not present before.

If you look, for example, at the recently encoded CJK Extension I, all
of the characters have a single (Chinese) source, because this
repertoire was all added for recent additions in an important Chinese
standard. However, in the future, if any of those characters also
happens to be added to some Japanese, Taiwan, Korean, or other standard,
a second source may be added for that character, to indicate its
presence in something other than the original Chinese standard. That
would be a horizontal extension. It wouldn't add a new CJK unified
ideograph with a new code point -- instead, it would just add another
source for an existing character.

A *vertical* extension just means the addition of more CJK unified
ideographs. Thus the encoding of CJK Extension I in Unicode 15.1 was a
vertical extension, adding 622 more CJK unified ideographs to the standard.

--Ken