Why missing characters and empty code points?

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Thu May 25 12:14:48 CDT 2023

On 2023-05-25 4:39 PM, admin--- via Unicode wrote:
> Thanks guys!  Yes the listing of characters I was looking at did not
> include a reference to the code point of the originally-created
> character, 2134 in this case.  I'll be sure to first check the official
> charts on unicode.org in the future.
Please have a look at BabelPad, a freeware Unicode plain text editor.
https://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelPad.html
With its built-in character map (BabelMap), it is a powerful and helpful
tool.  For example, entering the code point to the character map takes
the user to that specific code point and displays its range.  Then, if
the user clicks on the question mark button, the character's properties,
history, notes, aliases, and cross-references are displayed.  (BabelMap
is also available as a stand-alone application from the same web site.)

> Amazing this and other previously-created characters have not been
> duplicated, how on earth can you keep track of it all?
The architects of the Unicode Standard and many of its participants
share a commitment to excellence.  (I also suspect that several of the
people involved are "blessed" with OCD.  Sometimes being a finicky
nit-picker can be advantageous!)  Approving new characters isn't a
rubber stamping operation and there's a vigorous vetting system.