How do U+2571..U+2573 connect?

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 31 18:06:04 CDT 2023

The easy answer is that these do not consist of a single set. For
example, the single-, double-line regular-stroke symbols and their
combinations, form a subset that is supported by the DOS code page 437.
Another common DOS code page (850) has only the single-line ones.

Neither set contains any element that terminates in the middle of the cell.

Those, as well as the heavy stroke or mixed weight combinations are
presumably supported somewhere else, as are the curved corners. I don't
know off hand what the character sets are from which these were derived,
but again, I would not be surprised if they supported only a subset.

The diagonals, therefore, are not necessarily from any of those subsets,
and therefore likely never intended to be used to provide diagonal
connections.

A./