Fw: Inverted asterism

Giacomo Catenazzi cate at cateee.net
Fri Mar 31 02:24:02 CDT 2023

On 30 Mar 2023 20:12, Marius Spix via Unicode wrote:
> You can already represent this with U+002A + U+204E + U+002A: *⁎*
> There are many examples, where asterisks are used as ornaments.

I do not think that in this case this character is used as ornaments. As
in many scientific books (catalogue like), they uses characters to split
different parts (e.g. to distinguish description, sources/bibliography,
coding information, personal notes). Maybe like we have on many modern
ICT books, with "information", "warning", "attention" icons before a
paragraph.

So semantically it is part of "presentation" not on "pure text", and
further: at paragraph level (unlike m-dashes).

Note: often such characters may be recycled (one way or the other way)
with some meaning in text, and I would not be surprised if it is used
also on some text. if I will have time, I'll look some old
encyclopaedias or floras.

ciao
	cate