Aw: Re: Inverted asterism

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Mar 30 15:31:47 CDT 2023

James Kass replied to Marius Spix:

>> This is not font-specific. They use the rotate() css function. It
>> seems that the typesetter also used three separate glyphs. That
>> “reversed asterism” is 3 en wide and does not overlap like the
>> reference glyph for the asterism.
>
> Thank you for clarifying that.  So the reproduced text uses rich text
> features to match the source.  Much like the reproduced text uses rich
> text features to match the italics in the source.

I think it’s reasonable to allow that the inverted asterism might have some claim to being a legitimate plain-text character, unlike italicized text, which has a long-established history of not being considered plain text (NOT a thread we should be rehashing here).

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org