Missing Latin superscript lowercase letters

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Tue Mar 14 19:41:47 CDT 2023

Doug Ewell responded:

> an image of mathematical or engineering equations wouldn’t exactly be the best supporting evidence for encoding them in plain text.

Not only would it not be the best supporting evidence, it wouldn’t be considered supporting evidence _at all_ since math formula layout is not plain text. As Asmus responded,

> what is superscripted is not the individual letter, but the expression. In principle, the superscripted expression is arbitrarily complex and thus the superscript is fully recursive.

Andreas says below,
> Just one example where the notorious Opentype makeshift would not be a preferable solution and where hard-coding will be needed:

OpenType makeshift? Perhaps you’re not familiar with the MATH table in OpenType, which allows handling all of the typographic nuance in math layout examples such as were shown below.

MATH - The mathematical typesetting table (OpenType 1.9) - Typography | Microsoft Learn<https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/math>

Peter Constable