Zero-Width Joiner U+200D

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Tue Mar 14 19:30:55 CDT 2023

From Unicode 15, section 9.2 (p. 375):

“The Non-joiner and the Joiner. The Unicode Standard provides two user-selectable for[1]matting codes: U+200C zero width non-joiner and U+200D zero width joiner. The use of a joiner adjacent to a suitable letter permits that letter to form a cursive connection without a visible neighbor. This provides a simple way to encode some special cases, such as exhibiting a connecting form in isolation, as shown in Figure 9-2.”

Later in that section (p. 383), ZWJ is listed in the Join_Causing set of Arabic joining types

It seems to me the text is describing the original intent as Asmus described.

Peter