Missing Latin superscript lowercase letters

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Mar 7 11:15:57 CST 2023

A. Stötzner via Unicode wrote:

> I suspect this has been discussed several times before.

Enough so that it’s an FAQ:
https://www.unicode.org/faq/ligature_digraph.html#Pf8

> apart from that we have ª and º another time in the 00xx range.

The ordinal indicators don’t count in this discussion, as they often appear with an underscore below the ‘a’ or ‘o’.

> Just one example where the notorious Opentype makeshift would not be
> a preferable solution and where hard-coding will be needed:

If these superscript letters weren’t already encoded (as others have pointed out), an image of mathematical or engineering equations wouldn’t exactly be the best supporting evidence for encoding them in plain text.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org