Old Hungarian closed e and naming of Old Hungarian standard

Kovács Viktor kovacs.h.viktor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 08:53:49 CDT 2023

Dear members of Unicode comitte,

There are a problematic symbol form 10C8A (capital) and 10CCA (small)
letters „closed E”.

Critics start from the misconception that the sound of these letters is
closed. Unfortunately, this interpretation has been included in the
standard under the alias of the letter ë.
In the Rudimenta example texts (prayers) there are words that contain
the closed form of the letter e, the reading of which is perfectly clear
to native Hungarian readers.
I propose to add the alias "Rudimenta e with closed form" to the upper
and lower case "closed e" at 10C8A and 10CCA.
The shape of these letters should not be changed.

If necessary, I will present a submission with pictures to prove my point.

In any form, the use of the adjective "Szekler-Hungarian rovas script"
is incorrect, as it was not used only in Szeklerland.

It is also politically critical, as Szeklerland (or Székelyland) is the
easternmost part of Transylvania, Transylvania being part of Romania
since 1919.

Thanks