Re: “plain text styling”…

Kent Karlsson kent.b.karlsson at bahnhof.se
Thu Jan 12 10:57:39 CST 2023

> 11 jan. 2023 kl. 21:11 skrev Rebecca Bettencourt via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org>:
>
> > Actually there is no ESC. There are CR, LF, FF. And then a code ***called*** ESC, but it is not at all ESC, it is SS2, SINGLE SHIFT 2, it works exactly as SS2.
>
> Just because the ESC in GSM does not work the same way as the ESC in ECMA-48 does not mean it's not ESC.

You can call it MAMA if you like (but that would also be confusing). It still works just like SS2, not at all like ESC, not even close (i.e. not even like the ESC of old equipments, like that Cristian referred to).

> By definition, any control code that changes the meaning of the characters after it can be called ESC. You can't just apply the semantics of ECMA-48 to GSM

Cristian tried to do that (to some extent), and I said no…

> and then claim ESC is ”misnamed"

I did. It is misnamed there and for Teletext. And yes, I know there were other ESC sequence definitions before ECMA-48, which still were ESC sequences, not ”jumping” to another codepage.

> because the semantics don't match; GSM is not ECMA-48.

That’s what I said (though I said SMS and cell broadcast 7-bit charsets; GSM (2G) is somewhat outdated, we're (mostly) on 4G and 5G now).

/Kent K