Re: “plain text styling”…

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 11 08:12:45 CST 2023

Kent Karlsson wrote as follows.

> But yes, historically there have been other control/escape sequence
> definitions for various types of equipments from different
> manufacturers.

I remember that back in the late 1980s or early 1990s in the computing
laboratory where I worked at the time, where there were at that time
mostly ordinary monochrome text terminals each linked to a mainframe
computer, a then rather expensive colour graphics terminal was
purchased.

This connected to the mainframe computer in exactly the same way as an
ordinary monochrome text terminal.

The way that one used the colour graphics was by programming, in a
program written in, say, Pascal, that was compiled and run on the
mainframe computer, software that would send a (base 10 used then and
here) character 27 followed by a sequence of characters. If I remember
correctly, one such sequence started with a [ character and ended with a
] character. I do not remember whether each sequence type was between [
and ] or whether sequences each started and finished each differently,
such as ( to ) and { to }. I think some graphics commands might have
been just a character 27 followed by a single character so as, to, say,
change the colour of the drawing pen to a particular preset colour, but
I am not sure of that.

I remember that it was very straightforward to use those sequences in a
computer program and various people produced some very good results
using the colour graphics terminal.

I do not know whether the sequences used were specific to that
particular product or if they were part of a standard, whether a de jure
standard or a de facto standard, or just some informal quasi-standard
generated in a Usenet newsgroup or the like.

William Overington

Wednesday 11 January 2023