“plain text styling”…

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Mon Jan 9 12:39:39 CST 2023

Kent Karlsson via Unicode wrote in
 <C3E2D94E-A6DD-4BFC-B3ED-C3F5C49B9624 at bahnhof.se>:

  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kent-karlsson/control/main/ecma-48-style-modernisation-2022.pdf

Very interesting (whether it will fly .. who can tell).

I only wanted to note that the OSC-8 sequence has become a carrier
for hyperlinks and IDs ([1]); the next groff(1) release will bring
support for the grotty(1) driver, and makes use of it for manual
pages.
Actually mutilated support, i had rewritten my 2014 idea to bring
fully interactive references to UNIX manual pages, including an
extension to the less(1) pager, to OSC-8 sequences in i think
2020, but just mid of last year it was quite well, and there are
enhancement requests[2] (though all that still lingering likely
due to personal issues, at least for groff).

So just to come here and say that 100 bytes limit is surely not
large enough to hold a "modern" URL with all the bells and
whistles, plus possibly an ID= to identify it in the document.
So maybe either exclude OSC-8, or rise the limit for it.

  [1] https://gist.github.com/egmontkob/eb114294efbcd5adb1944c9f3cb5feda
  [2] https://www.sdaoden.eu/code.html#mdocmx

--steffen