Expressing any Unicode character using Morse code

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Mon Aug 7 17:12:14 CDT 2023

Yes, compactness is of great benefit in Morse Code.  To such an extent
that I find myself thinking that "expressing any Unicode character" and
"Morse Code" are somewhat at odds with one another.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_for_non-Latin_alphabets speaks
of non-Latin alphabets using their own encodings of many of the same
dot-dash sequences that ASCII uses for non-ASCII characters.  I guess in
a way it's rather like the old ISO-8859 code pages: you use the same bit
sequences but they mean different things depending on what alphabet
you're speaking.  A big part of Unicode's purpose was precisely to
supplant ISO-8859 (right?) so that each character could stand on its own
and not have to have code-page metadata attached to it.

I can sort of see some logic to allowing the same for Morse Code, but
again, Morse Code needs its compactness and needs to be short enough for
humans to send and receive.  The "code-page" approach sounds eminently
practical and usable for most purposes for Morse Code.  Still, what
you're talking about is some kind of "unicode escape sequence" that you
can use for one-off insertions of a character here and there (one
hopes), and I can see some utility to that.  But who gets to decide how
that's done?  Unicode doesn't control International Morse Code.
Probably you need to take this up with the International
Telecommunication Union to make it official, or else find a bunch of
Morse Code enthusiasts who'll use it unofficially until it becomes a de
facto standard.

Note that there are already Chinese and Japanese telegraph codes (about
which I know nothing, but Wikipedia does), so there are already Morse
Codes that have to represent largish character sets.

~mark