How do U+2571..U+2573 connect?

Harriet Riddle harjitmoe at outlook.com
Sat Apr 1 03:35:15 CDT 2023

U+2571, U+2572 and U+2573 are 0xA2AC, 0xA2AD and 0xA2AE respectively in
Big5 (the dominant pre-Unicode encoding for Traditional Chinese). They
also appear in GBK (Simplified Chinese) as 0xA875, 0xA876 and 0xA877
respectively, though GBK is post-Unicode (extending GB2312-as-EUC-CN to
include the entire original URO and some other (non-Hangul) chars from
other CJK encodings, in this case from Big5).

IBM calls them SH020080, SH030080 and SH040080 respectively (the "8"
here is just a fullwidth attribute, but they don't seem to appear in
single-byte code pages as e.g. SH020000 anywhere). They appear,
unsurprisingly, in the Traditional Chinese code pages, and in the
versions of the Simplified Chinese code pages expanded for GBK; they
also appear in the more expanded versions of Japanese EBCDIC for some
reason.

Also, yes, U+2571 and U+2572 (but not U+2573) appear in the G2 set of
Videotex Data Syntax 3 / NAPLPS (ITU T.101 Annex D, ANSI X3.110:1983,
CSA T500:1983, FIPS PUB 121), which has ISO-IR registration numbers 99
(registered by ANSI and later withdrawn in favour of the redundant 128)
and 128 (registered by the ITU). Although it is itself a modified
version of the ISO 6937 set, the base ISO 6937 set doesn't include these
characters.

--Har