Process of transforming existing glyphs to emojis via variants

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Sat Sep 24 02:54:18 CDT 2022

On 2022-09-23 8:54 PM, Adib Behjat via Unicode wrote:
> Going back to the original question, I’m still curious why a new code point was created instead of using variants for an existing code point, and if there’s a process for adding variants to existing code points so they can be represented as emojis.
It's a good question.  Perhaps there was some misunderstanding
involved.  The emoji-khanda proposal (
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2021/21223-khanda-emoji.pdf ) mentions the
symbol being encoded at U+262C (☬) under the name "adi shakti" with no
emoji version and suggests that the symbol be updated to become
"khanda".  (Note that U+626C has "khanda" as an alias for the symbol.)
It may be the responsibility of the Emoji Subcommittee to determine if
existing code points should have emoji variants rather than being left
up to the proposer.