East_Asian_Width of Yijing Hexagram Symbols

Wáng Yifán 747.neutron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 09:12:58 CDT 2022

> I was wondering why 4DC0..4DFF (Yijing Hexagram Symbols) are not considered Wide for the purpose of East_Asian_Width

Those symbols are certainly of historical CJK origin, but not from
traditional CJK character sets. In fact they are proposed by Western
experts (L2/01-283).

AFAIK, EAW is a data set to improve interoperability with environments
using some double-byte encoding schemes where display widths are tied
with byte sizes, so no meaningful value is defined for characters
which are not found in those legacy character encodings.