Negative/Negation Sign

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Sat Oct 29 19:15:34 CDT 2022

The APL language used a high-minus for negative numbers and a normal
hyphen-minus for the operator, monadic or dyadic.  The high-minus was
syntactically part of the number, while the regular minus operated on a
number (which would affect its precedence.) Come to think of it, when
they were teaching us negative numbers in grade school I think my math
book initially used a high-minus sign and then introduced the concept
that negation was an operation that can be done to numbers and from then
on used the regular minus sign.

Non-typographically, Lojban mathematical syntax (mekso) distinguishes
{vu'u}, the subtraction operator, from {ni'u}, the negative-number
indicator.  The latter is syntactically considered a *digit*, while the
former is an operator.

Unicode has a long history of tolerating the typographic weirdness of
APL (all those APL symbols).  That there isn't an APL high-minus sign
already would indicate to me that APL contents itself with U+207B
SUPERSCRIPT MINUS and that's Just Fine.

~mark