Aw: Re: The conflicting needs of emoji

Marius Spix marius.spix at web.de
Thu Oct 20 11:39:15 CDT 2022

So, is emoji meant to circumvent the requirement to know a language? So, I assume that you are not Japanese.

Which of the following representations is most understandable for you:

a) 🍥
b) 鳴門巻き
c) なると巻き
d) naruto maki
e) fish cake
f) whirlpool-shaped fish cake
g) 🍥 fish cake

Like English words emoji are not intuitive and you still have to learn their meaning, like you have to learn what the words in you mother tongue mean.

For te same reason someone who has never seen a rocket, can not figure out the meaning of the emoji 🚀.

Emojis are not designed to replace written text, but support it. For example you could write “🍥 fish cake” to unambiguously tell someone about a kind of fish cake with a special shape.