U+FFFC Object Replacement Character

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 19 10:27:22 CDT 2022

On page 944 of The Unicode Sandard, page 33 in the

https://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode15.0.0/ch23.pdf

document, is text about U+FFFC OBJECT REPLACEMENT CHARACTER.

Could this text be modified such that U+FFFC could be used either as
described in that text or could be followed by a sequence of tag
characters, that sequence of tag characters containing information
relating to the object?

In another thread I wrote as follows.

> Could U+FFFC OBJECT REPLACEMENT CHARACTER be used as the base
> character for such a sequence of tag characters that are providing
> instructions to a virtual machine as to how to draw a custom
> character?

Yet upon thinking about this further, now that tag characters are used
for sequences that are not (only) about languages, I am wondering if a
sequence of tag characters immediately following a U+FFFC character
could be defined by The Unicode Technical Committee to refer to one of
various types of object, which one depending upon, say, the first
character of the sequence of tag characters.

For example, a full Universal Resource Locator so as to indicate where
on the web to find an image file; a local file name to indicate an
attached image in an email or the same folder as the file where the
message is stored; a full Universal Resource Locator of where to find
the font data for an emoji character, and so on.

Would this be possible please or would it cause problems with documents
where the existing definition of the meaning of U+FFFC is being applied?

William Overington

Wednesday 19 October 2022