Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Mon Mar 14 20:45:28 CDT 2022

I dunno, it gets weird when you consider fonts and glyphs and stuff.
You can't actually copyright a font, apparently.  And even if you could,
so Tolkien's tengwar shapes might be protected, but what about Tengwar
Optime (http://www.peter-wiegel.de/TengwarOptime.html)?  Or Elbic Caslon
(http://www.peter-wiegel.de/ElbicCaslon.html)?  Could they argue that
these were derivative works or something?  Probably.  I don't know.  And
I don't think it matters.  Unicode doesn't encode glyphs anyway.  I
think quibbling over fonts and glyphs is kind of a red herring to the
actual problem.

~mark