Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 14 16:53:37 CDT 2022

Richard Wordingham  wrote:

> What about the copyright in 'Peter Pan' and the King James Bible?
> (They're still in copyright in the UK.)

Quote  from

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-notice-duration-of-copyright-term/copyright-notice-duration-of-copyright-term

> Peter Pan

> In 1929, the author, JM Barrie, gifted the rights to his play, Peter
> Pan, to the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. The copyright
> in this work expired in 1987, 50 years after his death. However, in
> 1988 Parliament introduced a perpetual right to royalties for the use
> of the Peter Pan play, payable to the Great Ormond Street Hospital for
> Children.

I opine that it would be good if a law were introduced such that the
copyright owner at the time, of any work of creative writing could,
before the copyright expired, gift, by a registration process, a
perpetual right to royalties with the proceeds going to provide
additional funding for the United Kingdom National Health Service.

William Overington

Monday 14 March 2022