Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Thu Mar 10 17:45:45 CST 2022

Interesting.  In the case of tengwar, the copyright-holder has actually
explicitly given an answer to the question:  they do not want it
encoded.  But CBS/Paramount has never said anything one way or another
about pIqaD (beyond boilerplate copyright notices), as far as I know.
So tengwar would seem to be further from encodability than pIqaD, in
this sense.  (And yet, the one disapproved of is not the one that is
non-approved.)

As you say, the actual relevance, legality, and enforceability of the
Estate's statement don't really matter.  Nobody wants to be in the
position of showing it's wrong, even successfully.

~mark