Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 10 13:33:20 CST 2022

It seems to me that the goal to achieve for getting Tengwar encoded is
for there to be a joint press release by the Tolkien Estate and Unicode
Inc. announcing that encoding is to take place, with quotes from
representatives of both entities, together with a Notes for Editors
section of the press release with background information about Tengwar,
the Tolkien Estate and about the Unicode Inc. organization.

That way, an excellent result of an encoding could be achieved.

I do not know enough about Tengwar to produce a proposal document for
this for consideration by the Unicode Technical Committee, I can,
however, make suggestions about the modalities.

Suppose that the proposal to the Unicode Technical Committee includes
the suggestion of a motion that the President of Unicode Inc. write a
letter, signed with pen and ink personally by the President of Unicode
Inc., not with a ballpoint pen, on good quality stationery, and sent,
unfolded, by the postal system to the Tolkien Estate with a printed copy
of the proposal saying that this proposal has been received and Unicode
Inc. would like to proceed with encoding please and requests discussion
in the hope of receiving approval from the Tolkien Estate. The letter
could offer full consultation, a chapter of The Unicode Standard solely
about Tengwar and the work of J. R. R. Tolkien, and, as consideration, a
gold sovereign coin.

If anyone can suggest a way to improve this suggestion, then fine.

William Overington

Thursday 10 March 2022