Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 9 13:40:10 CST 2022

James Kass wrote:

> If no, then it may be pointless to pursue standardization of fictional
> ConScripts.

I opine that it needs to be remembered that some authors of a novel that
uses a conscript that the author has devised may be delighted for the
conscript to become encoded in regular Unicode and regard it as a great
honour and great recognition of the author's work, which indeed I opine
that it would be.

> If yes, ..., telling the IP holder that the writing system in question
> will likely be encoded one way or another.

I opine that that would not be a diplomatic, kind, or fair way to "tell"
someone something.

If permission were given for Tengwar to become encoded into regular
Unicode, I opine that that would be a great way to celebrate the work
and art of J. R. R. Tolkien for as long as Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646
exist.

What if the Tolkien Estate were offered the inclusion of a piece of text
of a significant length together with illustrations about Tengwar and
the work of J. R. R. Tolkien in The Unicode Standard, in a chapter of
its own?

William Overington

Wednesday 9 March 2022