Re Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Tue Mar 8 07:48:12 CST 2022

On 3/7/22 12:11, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:
> An updated proposal for Tengwar that claims it is being used for more than just decoration (a traditional argument against encoding Klingon pIqaD) may need to be supported with better language tools than this.

At least at the start, tengwar had _more_ evidence that it wasn't just
decoration than pIqaD had.  Having been around a lot longer, it was
already being used by hardcore Tolkien fans here and there, and I think
not just to transcribe English (as Tolkien himself did, e.g. on the LotR
title pages).  People were making their fumbling attempts to figure out
Elvish languages with whatever official information was available at the
time and writing stuff.

pIqaD has never really been used as merely another way to write English
(it lacks the sounds), though.  In that sense and in those usages,
tengwar is arguably more "mere decoration."  And even that is disputable.

~mark