Tengwar on a general purpose translation site

Julian Bradfield junicode at jcbradfield.org
Mon Mar 7 15:15:24 CST 2022

On 2022-03-07, James Kass via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:
> What’s the estate’s stance on Tengwar in the CSUR?

You would have to ask them, and explain what the CSUR is.

My guess would be that the answer would be neutral, as CSUR is
entirely unofficial and has no legal baggage associated with it.

In practice, the Tolkien Estate does not interfere with fan activities
provided (a) they're not commercialized, and (b) they do not bring
Tolkien's name into disrepute (in the opinion of the Estate).
Whether they even go so far as to admit this, I don't remember, but by
observation it's been their practice for the last fifty years.

> It’s hard to imagine anyone inventing a writing system with the idea
> that nobody should use it.

I think you need more imagination. The only person who needed to write
tengwar was JRRT! But that's getting off-topic.

Julian.