normalization: dotless i + COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT doesn't combine to I ACUTE

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Jun 14 16:59:20 CDT 2022

Richard Wordingham replied to Nico Schlömer:

>> Is this consistent with the standard, and oversight in the standard,
>> or intended?
>
> As intended.  The two sequences should render differently in a
> Lithuanian locale.

Not only that, but in general there is no guarantee that a given sequence involving a combining character will necessarily have a normalization to a precomposed character, even if there is one which "looks right." The folks on Stack Overflow have it right.

This is not a "bug," an "oversight," or any sort of failure on the part of the Standard.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org